National Catholic Reporter

The Independent News Source

Card. O’Brien’s apology is weak, SNAP says

 |  NCR Today
Rome

The apology of Scottish Cardinal Keith O'Brien, who over the weekend admitted to improper sexual conduct with priests of his archdiocese, "is weak, vague, belated and thus hollow sounding," David Clohessy, executive director of the U.S.-based abuse survivor's group,  SNAP said in a press statement released late March 3.

"Still, it's encouraging and healthy any time any corrupt Catholic official is publicly exposed and experiences any consequences – however slight – for abusing trust, hurting others and hiding misdeeds," the statement from Survivors Network of those  Abused  by Priests.

Clohessy and Barbara Dorris, SNAP's outreach director, are in Rome trying to ensure the cause  of victims of clergy sexual abuse are not forgotten as church leaders gather ahead of the conclave that will  choose  the next pope.

rectangular-logo.jpgVisit NCR's sister website, Global Sisters Report!

Last week, after allegations of improper sexual contact surfaced  from four men, O'Brien resigned as archbishop of Saint Andrews and Edinburgh in Scotland and announced that he would  not attend the conclave electing the new pope.

"It would have been far better had church figures in Rome and in the UK publicly condemned or disciplined O'Brien. It's only a tiny step forward when wrongdoers essentially get to pick their own punishment," Clohessy's statement said.

Clohessy and Dorris passed out leaflets March 3 before an evening Mass at Basillica San Clemente, Via Di San Giovannni, which they  believe is a neighborhood in which a number of priests who have been credibly accused of abusing minors either lived or worked in the last decade.

Friends of NCR 300x80 web ad.jpg

NCR Email Alerts