Here's a rundown of the most-read stories on NCRonline.org for the month of November. The list is compiled with the help of Google Analytics. Miss any of these stories? Now's the time to get caught up.
5. "Francis and a church that breathes with both lungs " by John L. Allen Jr., posted Nov. 27. John's "All Things Catholic" column for the week took an in-depth look at Pope Francis' apostolic exhortation, Evangelii Gaudium, and how it successfully meshes two different schools of thought.
4. "Women resistant to Pope Francis' call for new theology " by Megan Fincher and Colleen Dunne, posted Nov. 4. Much has been made of Pope Francis' call for a new theology of women, but this story by NCR's Bertelsen interns showed how not all theologians feel it's necessary. "We keep talking about women as if they were just invented," one said.
3. "Dolan's farewell; women; Russia; stuff you can't make up; and pope watch " by John L. Allen Jr., posted Nov. 15. In his "All Things Catholic" column for the week, John covered a lot of ground, including Cardinal Timothy Dolan's call to action against anti-Christian persecution around the globe and a preview of Pope Francis' Nov. 25 meeting with Vladimir Putin.
2. "Vatican asks for parish-level input on synod document " by Joshua J. McElwee, posted Oct. 31. Although this story was posted in October, it was still the second-most-read story on the website for the month of November. The announcement of the questionnaire to help plan the October 2014 synod on the family sparked debate, questions and many ways Catholics could tell the Vatican what they think .
1. " 'Evangelii Gaudium' amounts to Francis' 'I Have a Dream' speech " by John L. Allen Jr., posted Nov. 26. Pope Francis released his first document with a solo byline Nov. 26, an apostolic exhortation called "The Joy of the Gospel," and John Allen wrote this analysis about what the exhortation contained and what it could mean. (This prefaced his column for the week, "Francis and a church that breathes with both lungs," which is No. 5 on this list.)