The National Catholic Reporter's Bertelsen Editorial Internship is a semester-long program designed to provide recent college graduates with firsthand newspaper experience. This is a paid position.
We are currently seeking applicants for the Fall 2013 program, which would run August to December 2013. Dates are flexible, with the opportunity to begin earlier and/or extend, in consultation with the editor.
The internship will provide experience in a fast-paced newsroom, reporting for print and Web, newspaper production as well as exposure to maintaining an online news site, including social media, multimedia and blogging. NCR interns have opportunities to set goals for achievement based on personal and professional interests.
The intern will work as a full-time staff member in the newspaper's Kansas City, Missouri, headquarters. Normal business hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Some work will happen outside normal hours, including evenings and weekends. NCR will provide a monthly stipend and housing assistance.
- Report and write for NCR's print edition and its website as assigned by an NCR editor.
- Help maintain the NCR website under the supervision of the editor.
Participate in the production of the biweekly newspaper, which includes:
- proofreading pages;
- writing news briefs and photo captions;
- other duties assigned by an NCR editor.
- According to the intern’s interest, she or he can help in the design and layout of print pages.
- Similarly, if interested, the intern may develop multimedia presentations for the NCR website, including podcasts, videos, etc.
How to Apply
To be considered for this opportunity, send a cover letter, a resumé and three writing samples to Dennis Coday, editor, at email@example.com. In the cover letter, explain how you learned of this opportunity and why you think you would be a good fit for NCR. If selected for an interview, applicants will be asked to provide references.