DUBLIN -- The Dublin Archdiocese has admitted that money from parishes has been transferred into a special fund used to compensate victims of clerical sex abuse.
However, Archbishop Diarmuid Martin insisted that "none of the funds that have come from parishes have been used for that (compensation) as yet."
Information about the transfer became public after minutes of a May meeting of the Council of Priests were leaked and published in The Irish Catholic newspaper Sept. 22. The minutes revealed that the fund used to cover the cost of abuse claims is running a deficit.
The minutes reported that "it is proposed that the deficit is eliminated by donations from parishes with cash surpluses."
"Significant progress has been made to date, with almost 40 percent of the targeted amount generously donated," the minutes said.
In an interview with Irish state radio, Archbishop Martin confirmed that money from parishes had been transferred to the general fund which, he said, "is used for many purposes, not exclusively for covering clerical sexual abuse."
He said he was unsure how much money the diocese will need to compensate clergy abuse victims.