National Catholic Reporter

The Independent News Source

Accountability

Haiti charity founder's abuse trial scheduled

 | 

Douglas Perlitz, a 1992 graduate of Jesuit-run Fairfield University in Connecticut, appeared in U.S. District in New Haven, Conn., Feb. 2, to answer charges of sexual abuse of minors.

He pleaded not guilty to nine charges of traveling from the U.S. to Haiti to engage in sexual activity with nine different boys between 1998 and 2004 and 10 charges of engaging in sexual activity with minors in a foreign land between 2003 and 2008 with 10 different boys. Each of the charges carries a maximum 30-year prison sentence.

Fifth Irish bishop faces pressure to resign

 | 

DUBLIN (RNS/ENI) -- A fifth Irish bishop is resisting calls to resign following the release of a government-commissioned report into how the Roman Catholic Church dealt with allegations against priests of sexual abuse.

Since the publication of the Nov. 26 report led by Judge Yvonne Murphy, four bishops in Ireland have offered their resignation to Pope Benedict XVI.

Advocates: abusive Irish priests assigned to US

Roman Catholic priests accused of sexual abuse in Ireland have for decades been getting re-assigned to ministry positions in the United States, according to a church reform group with a new database of names.

BishopAccountability.org, which documents allegations of abuse, last week (Dec. 28) released the names of 70 accused Irish priests who at some point served in the United States. Many on the list (viewable at http://www.bishop-accountability.org/irish--priests--in--us/) are said to have died or no longer serve in the priesthood.

Giving money away: a Catholic model

 | 

Giving money away is not as easy as one might think. It becomes even more complicated if individuals and institutions integrate a Catholic socially responsible approach into their philanthropy.

In St. Paul, Minn., the late Archbishop John Roach (who served as the ordinary from 1975 to 1995) had a vision of a new way to encourage and foster charitable giving in support of Catholic activities in the archdiocese. He wanted an entity independent of the St. Paul-Minneapolis archdiocese and its board of directors.

“Archbishop Roach’s original vision was thinking outside the box in creating an independent, separate corporate entity with funds under the control of outstanding lay women and men,” said recently retired Archbishop Harry Flynn (who succeeded Roach and served as ordinary from 1995 to 2008).

Ireland confronts its sex abuse crisis

 | 

Analysis

The recent government investigation into clergy sex abuse in Ireland, which produced a scathing critique of church officials and their role in attempting to protect the reputation of the institution at the expense of young victims, has resulted in the resignation of four bishops and sparked calls for cutting the number of dioceses in Ireland and for deep reform of the hierarchical culture.

The report of the government commission, headed by Judge Yvonne Murphy, severely criticized the church for being preoccupied with “the maintenance of secrecy, the avoidance of scandal and the preservation of its assets.

“All other considerations,” said the report, “including the welfare of children and justice for victims, were subordinated to these priorities. The archdiocese did not implement its own canon law rules and did its best to avoid any application of the law of the state.”

Second Irish bishop resigns over clerical abuse

 | 

A second Irish bishop has resigned following a government report into the sexual abuse of children by Catholic clergy.

Bishop Jim Moriarty submitted a letter of resignation Dec. 23. He is bishop of Kildare and Leithlin, southwest of Dublin. Moriarty was not directly criticized in the Murphy Report, but was a member of the Dublin archdiocese leadership for more than a decade before it put proper protections for children in place, he said.

Canadian bishop apologizes for clergy abuse

Editor's Note: This story corrects a story posted earlier to reflect that allegations involved people other than clergy.

OTTAWA, Canada -- Bishop Paul-Andre Durocher of Alexandria-Cornwall, Ontario, apologized for the clergy sexual abuse in his diocese and urged remaining survivors to come forward.

His public statement came as the Cornwall Inquiry, which looked into the response of public institutions to decades of sexual abuse allegations that first became public in 1992, was released at a Dec. 15 news conference.

Led by Normand Glaude, an Ontario court justice, the four-year inquiry offers more than 200 recommendations for public agencies and the church on dealing with abuse cases.

"We know that there were some appalling occasions a few decades ago when people in authority, including priests, sexually abused young people," Bishop Durocher told reporters. "I have had the occasion a number of times to listen first hand to the painful stories of survivors of sexual abuse and have been shaken by their testimony.

Pages

Feature_ad_Family-synod3.jpg

NCR Email Alerts

 

In This Issue

September 26-October 9, 2014

09-26-2014.jpg

Not all of our content is online. Subscribe to receive all the news and features you won't find anywhere else.