John Allen in Rome: A senior Vatican official today asserted that the Catholic church wants to be "an example of best practice" in the prevention of abuse.
Cardinal Francis George in two letters took a defensive stance on his handling of the issue and said he wants to "put on the public record" facts about the cases.
Australian survivors of clerical sexual abuse have been complaining for years about their dissatisfaction with Towards Healing, the Catholic church's national protocol for responding to abuse.
We say: For her efforts to shed the light on clergy sex abuse, Jennifer Haselberger is NCR's person of the year for 2013.
This week’s court decision that freed a senior cleric in Philadelphia who had been jailed for shielding an abusive priest was a symbolic setback for victims’ advocates.
Top leaders of Regnum Christi knew that Fr. Marcial Maciel Degollado had a grown daughter, but concealed the information from the members at least three years.
Following "appropriate diplomatic channels," the Vatican's nuncio to Australia on Dec. 6 turned over requested documents to a state sex abuse commission.
Copies of correspondence show the papal nuncio to Australia, Archbishop Paul Gallagher, claimed diplomatic immunity in response to repeated requests for archival documentation.
The diocese of San Isidro publicly apologized for the actions of Fr. Jose Mercau, a priest sentenced to 14 years in jail in 2006 for sexually abusing of four children.
"The San Isidro diocesan community, and especially the bishop and priests, publicly apologize to the young victims who were affected by the conduct of a priest within our diocese, Father Jose Mercau, when he was a priest at St. John the Baptist Church," said the document signed by Bishop Oscar Ojea and read at diocesan Masses Dec. 14-15.
Updated: Archbishop John Nienstedt removed himself from public ministry while authorities investigate an accusation that he touched a young man's buttocks in 2009.