SNAP says breach of contract suit filed against Kansas City-St. Joseph diocese is first of its kind, and a huge victory for survivors of clerical sex abuse.
The defrocking of a former Vatican ambassador is a "sign of the seriousness" with which Pope Francis and the Vatican are approaching the clergy sexual abuse scandal, according to the Holy See's representative to United Nations agencies in Geneva.
Archbishop Silvano Tomasi was tasked with defending the Catholic church's record when he presented reports to the U.N. Committee on the Rights of the Child and the U.N. Committee Against Torture in Geneva earlier this year.
A Catholic archbishop in Minnesota is the target of an investigation into allegations that he had a series of sexual relationships with men, reports said Tuesday.
The Vatican has ordered the laicization of Archbishop Józef Wesołowski, former apostolic nuncio to the Dominican Republic, accused of paying for sex with minors.
Massachusetts' bishops have endorsed a bill that would extend by 32 years the limit for filing civil suits against alleged perpetrators of sex abuse.
The settlement, which involved abuse allegedly carried out by Christian Brothers, totaled $12.1 million. "I deeply regret the pain suffered by these victims," Seattle Archbishop J. Peter Sartain said.
Poland's Catholic church has held a penitential service for victims of sexual abuse by priests after calls for more action to curb molestation in the country.
"It was said this was America's problem, and then a problem of Anglo-Saxon countries, and then a problem for the West -- the frontiers were pushed ever further so we could insist it didn't affect us," said Bishop Piotr Libera of Plock, a former bishops' conference secretary-general.
One of the seven had previously been sued for abuse in the Los Angeles archdiocese. They are not allowed to practice their ministries.
After almost a year of investigation, the Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith concluded that Bishop Cristian Contreras Molina of San Felipe was innocent of the child abuse accusations made against him.
Through a statement, the diocese of San Felipe said that "the Vatican has concluded that those accusations were not true and has established the absence of incriminatory evidence."
The district attorney's office also closed its investigation regarding the case, the statement said, adding that the bishop had cooperated with both investigations.
“During the last two decades” the Catholic church has “been repeatedly sued because bishops and others in authority sent priests known to have molested children to new assignments where they molested other children. This is not such a case,” a federal judge wrote in the introduction to a June 12 ruling that the Diocese of Yakima, Wash., is not liable for the 1999 sexual abuse of a 17-year-old boy by a transitional deacon.