Welcome to NCRonline.org and the first day of our fourth annual webathon. Once a year, for one week, we interrupt your visits to this website to ask for your support. That time of year has arrived for 2013 and if you appreciate the news, analysis, and commentary that you have come to NCRonline.org to find, I hope you will show your appreciation by making a gift to NCR: Donate Now.
This has been an incredible year (and it isn’t even half over) for the Catholic church worldwide and domestically. Some of the highlights are fresh in our memories:
- The resignation of a pope.
- The election of new pope.
- A pope that has captured the imagination of Catholics like we haven’t seen in a very long time.
But let’s not forget about other stories from earlier:
- A year ago the Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith issued its doctrinal assessment of the Leadership Conference of Women Religious. This story continues to unfold.
- Roy Bourgeois received a letter of dismissal from the Maryknoll order.
- The presidential election of 2012 saw the Nun’s on the Bus and the U.S. bishops’ Fortnight for Freedom.
NCR reported on these stories as they happened and as they unfolded. That is the kind of boots on the ground journalism that you have come to depend on NCR to bring you. You’ve most likely come to the website today looking for similar news reports and commentary. I will let you get on with your reading, just as soon as I finish this short appeal.
Please make a donation today. With your help we can continue on our mission.
We need to raise $100,000 this week, and the only way to get that is with your help. To help you get us started on the way to this goal, we have a matching grant. Annette Lomont and Chuck Raaberg have pledged to match the first $1,000 that come on this first day of the webathon. Donate now.
This year, you can keep track of our progress on special webpage: NCRonline.org/webathon. That page has some unique features you will want to check out:
- "NCR is..." A word cloud made up of words we heard from readers about how they describe NCR. See the answers here.
- Love notes to NCR. Read love notes to NCR from around the world ... and submit one of your own.
- NCR video messages. We will have a series of video-appeals throughout the week. I am sure some you will want to watch more than once and share with friends. Re-watch your favorite and catch ones you have missed. (Be sure to check back as more are posted through the week!)
Last year, your generosity allowed us to meet our $100,000 goal. I hope you can help us repeat that success and meet this goal. Please, donate now.